Monday, May 5, 2014

Reflection Essay

Looking back at our documentary, I would say the biggest struggle would be our initial focus. We had a lot of different ideas for where we wanted to take the project, and it took a while for us to finally narrow in on one direction. The aspect of our documentary I was most proud of would definitely be the editing. Conner did a terrific job at editing it. If I could change something about the documentary, I would try to add more action shots, such as a ride along or interaction with the delivery drivers with the customers. I felt that this would make the documentary more exciting and interesting. My role in the group was to be in charge of filming. While others did contribute to filming, I did film most of the interviews and shots that were used in the documentary. I really enjoyed working with this group and didn't find it frustrating at all. To promote a healthy group environment, I did my best to be available whenever the others wanted to meet. I'm pretty sure that I was at every group meeting. I also contributed my ideas whenever I felt that they would add to the documentary. I wish I would have been able to help with the editing more, but I didn't know how to use the software. I believe that I contributed a fair amount to the group, and that everyone did an equally good job.
I just wanted to start of by saying that I really enjoyed this course. I think that it did help me to hone my critical thinking skills, as I learned how to look in depth into films and other types of media. This course definitely challenged my communication and technological skills. I had to learn how to properly use a camera to film and the different shots that make up a film. I also had to speak in front of the class, something that I struggle with but improved on. I think this method was much better than just writing essays, like in other WRD classes. I really enjoyed your teaching style. I liked how you would go over the basic details of what we were learning and then ask for our opinions on what we thought. There was a good balance between lecture and discussion and I don't think you need to change it. To make this class better in the future, I think that you should assign the final project a little bit earlier. This would allow the groups to have a longer time to plan out what they wanted to do, and also give them enough time to change their focus if they realized they didn't like where the documentary was heading. That is really the only thing I would change about this course. Thanks for being an awesome professor and having a really great class.

No comments:

Post a Comment